I also opine on:

Friday, February 13, 2009

Cowardliness

An act of violence to prove a point is cowardliness. An act of ignorance to not want to see a point is a bigger one.
I am guilty of the latter. I did not want to know about our cruelty to animals because I knew it would hurt. I once saw a KFC video, which was enough to give me nightmares.
Today, I chanced upon the earthlings video, showing how we ill-treat animals for food, entertainment, hunting, clothes etc. Oh.my.god. To think that I thought that by being vegetarian, I am blameless! To think that I turned a deaf ear to how animals in circuses are ill-treated. To think I still use leather!!

Conclusion: I am not going to buy anything leather from now on. There ought to be something more I could do, join PFA perhaps. That would be a goal as soon as I overcome my fear of dogs. :)

PS: This post is dedicated to Anupama. If not for her, I would have been lost in my rosy pink-perfect earth forever.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

:-D thanks for the dedication.
You don't have to join PFA.
Stopping leather products is a big step. Yay!

Ashwin said...

Bravo! Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Thats Gr8!!!
Good resolution... keep the steam on

Archana said...

Thanks you all! Better late than never eh?

Kunal Chandra said...

Somehow I am always unmoved by the thought of incremental changes making a big difference. This one did succeed in moving me slightly but am not sure if I am a transformed soul. By the way, there are these nice aretificial leather substitutes avalable, you might want to try something like that.. :-)

Archana said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that!

Kamban said...

Whether you like it or not, we will always depend on animals. We will always exploit them. If not for food, for silk or leather or milk. Personally, I don't mind depending on animals for food, for I think it's fundamental, more natural and perhaps meant to be that way. I hear you saying that man is meant to be herbivorous. Let's say we have evolved! And I am not defending this because I am a non-vegetarian. I can't defend myself for buying leather items or silk, for a simple reason that they are meant for luxury.
By the way, did you know that they have to kill thousands, if not lakhs, of silkworms to weave one Saree?